Thursday, May 15, 2014

2012, The Buzzcocks and Me

In 2012 I did a thing.

The Buzzcocks have a song that goes, "WHAT DO I GET?" and then lists things to create a catchy chorus. It is a damn good song and part of the punk anthem pantheon.

I was going out drinking pretty much every night in 2012 and carted around a notebook and pen. At the peak of my self loathing  I would make lists. I am a very good list maker. It started off with the above phrase from The Buzzcocks and then a list of things that were happening to me at that moment, had happened in moments past, or were remarks on general moments of life that reoccurred and created my current reality. Here are two I found, more to come:

WHAT DO I GET?
- I get drunk
- I get missed connections
- I get far away glances that lead to nowhere
- I get a feeling in my gut
- I get a sense of dread
- I get a sense I am too chicken shit to say anything
- I am too chicken shit not to order another drink

WHAT DO I GET?
- NERVOUS
- GIDDY
- OVERLY CONFIDENT (and then insecure)
- INTROVERTED (why do you think I've got this pad and pen wherever I go?)
- TONGUE TIED
- FIDGETY
- DRUNK (really really drunk)


No comments:

Post a Comment